James Maxwell

James Maxwell

James Maxwell nasceu em Kilmarnock em 1882. Jogou pelo Kilmarnock F. C. na Liga Escocesa antes de ingressar no Sheffield Wednesday em 1906. Naquela temporada, ele marcou 6 gols em 27 jogos.

Maxwell ingressou no Woolwich Arsenal em maio de 1908 e fez sua estreia na liga contra o Everton em 2 de setembro de 1908. No entanto, ele apenas jogou mais uma partida contra o Sunderland em Roker Park antes de voltar para a Escócia.

Com a eclosão da Primeira Guerra Mundial, ele se juntou aos Royal Scots e serviu na Frente Ocidental antes de ser morto em 27 de setembro de 1915.


Uma História da Família Americana

James Maxwell provavelmente nasceu em meados da década de 1630 na Inglaterra. Ele era um fazendeiro que imigrou para Maryland em 1658.

Sua esposa se chamava Mary e ele a trouxe para a América por volta de 1659 e eles se estabeleceram em Maryland.

O filho de James e Mary, James Maxwell, nasceu por volta de 1661.

Em 1 de novembro de 1667, James comprou 200 acres a oeste da Baía de Chesapeake e ao sul de Herring Creek de William Parker.

James, Sr. morreu antes de 10 de fevereiro de 1669/70, quando sua propriedade foi homologada. Ele morreu com pelo menos 200 acres e uma propriedade pessoal de 22.087 libras de tabaco.

Após sua morte, Mary casou-se com Patrick Hall, do Condado de Anne Arundel. Ele era o executor da propriedade de James. A filha (e herdeira) de James era Mary Hall Everett (falecida em 1698). Ela se casou com Henry Everett.

Patrick Hall comprou 300 acres de Gowry Banks em Herring Creek Hundred (perto de Friendship, Maryland) de Thomas Ford em 1677, e vendeu-o no ano seguinte para William Powell.

Patrick Hall patenteou 150 acres de Hall's Park em 10 de outubro de 1671. Localizava-se no condado de Calvert, no lado leste do rio Patuxent. Hall's Park estava próximo a Hall’s Hills que patenteou por Richard Hall, um quacre, em 1666, baseado, em parte, em sua recompensa por transportar o coronel Ninian Beall (1625) para Maryland. Ninan era o servo contratado de Richard.

Patrick morreu em 1678 e Mary se casou com John Spencer.

UMA patente de terra é uma concessão de terras exclusiva feita pelo governo. O certificado que concede os direitos da terra também é chamado de escritura de primeiro título e certificado final. Nos Estados Unidos, todas as terras podem ser rastreadas até a patente original da terra.

Plantador é um termo arcaico para um colono. Plantação era um método de colonização onde os colonos eram "plantados" no exterior. Uma plantação também é o tipo de grande fazenda que foi a base econômica de muitas colônias americanas e os proprietários dessas fazendas também eram chamados de plantadores.

a partir de Resumos do Processo Testamentário do Tribunal Prerrogativo por V. L. Skinner, V. L. Skinner, Jr.

Sessão do Tribunal 1683
2 de maio. John Spencer (AA) exibiu que Patrick Hall se casou com a viúva de James Maxwell (AA), que morreu sem testamento, e o peticionário se casou com a viúva Mary de dito Hall. Disse que Mary morreu depois, deixando um filho James Maxwell e uma filha Mary Hall. Disse que James atingirá a maioridade em novembro e disse que Mary Hall se casou com Henry Everitt (AA). Por George Parker (g), disse que Spencer foi convocado para prestar contas do referido James Maxwell & amp, disse Patrick Hall.

a partir de Registros e retratos ancestrais, Volume 1 por Colonial Dames of America.

James Maxwell estabeleceu-se no condado de Anne Arundel, Maryland. Ele morreu naquele ano, deixando um filho e uma viúva que depois se casou com Patrick Hall. (Testamentary Proceedings, Ann Arundel Co., Md. Vol. X, fol. 326.)

Maryland colonial usou o cabeça direita sistema para encorajar a liquidação. A terra era concedida a quem pagasse os custos de transporte de um trabalhador.

A partir de A History of Calvert County, Maryland por Charles Francis Stein, Baltimore, Maryland.

Um dos primeiros colonos quacres importantes no condado de Calvert foi Richard Hall. Ele se estabeleceu em uma grande propriedade chamada Hall's Hills, situado perto da foz do riacho de Hall. Richard Hall foi membro da Câmara Baixa da Assembleia, começando em 1666, e para ter exercido esse cargo ele deve ter se afastado dos princípios de sua fé, pelo menos a ponto de fazer o juramento de posse.

Sua filha Rebecca se casou com Walter Smith, o segundo filho do Procurador-Geral Richard Smith. Richard Hall deu ou vendeu Hall's Craft para seu genro, uma grande propriedade perto de Lower Marlboro. Walter Smith e seus descendentes estavam entre os homens mais importantes do condado superior, ocupando muitos cargos durante o período colonial. & Quot


. . .Hall's Hills, propriedade do primeiro Quaker, Richard Hall, ficava na parte norte do Condado. Ninian Beall havia cumprido seu período de serviço contratado. Hall's Hills estava em 1733 possuído por Richard Hall, da terceira geração de sua família, e pela viúva de Elisha Hall. Essas plantações dos Halls juntas tinham um total de vinte e um escravos.


. . .Há duas famílias de Hall no sul de Maryland. Os corredores do condado de Anne Arundel são descendentes do reverendo Henry Hall da Igreja de St. James em Herring Creek. Os corredores do condado de Calvert são descendentes de Richard Hall, que foi fundado no condado de Calvert em 1663.

Rolo de aluguel do condado de Baltimore
Scotts Hopewell, 500 acr Sur a 7 de novembro de 1696 para Daniell Scott começando em um estande de carvalho vermelho delimitado por uma pilha de terra anteriormente ocupada por James Maxwell e agora posada por Daniel Scott aluguel por ano 1..0..0

Gado foram vitais para uma família e um legado importante.
Bovinos não desmamados são bezerros.
Bovinos fêmeas são novilhas e vacas (teve uma panturrilha).
Bovinos machos são bois (castrado) e touros.
Bois
são animais de tração treinados e freqüentemente são machos adultos castrados.

Focas eram usados ​​para autenticar documentos e esperava-se que os homens tivessem um dado pessoal. Os registros em livros de escrituras são cópias e as assinaturas geralmente são escritas à mão pelo escrivão. O secretário desenhou um círculo ao redor da palavra “selo” para indicar que o documento original estava lacrado.

Informação sobre Henry Everett cortesia de Ron Cofiell.


Henry Everet foi transportado para Maryland em 1679 (site dos Arquivos do Estado de Maryland: & quotSupplement to Early Settlers Query & quot pelo Dr. Carson Gibb, citando Patentes WC2, p. 101).

do Prerogative Court (Wills, Original), Box E, pasta 26, Accession No: 1330-7- / 32, Maryland State Archives, No: S540-7
Em nome de deus Amen
eu Henery Everett do condado de Ann arrundell na província de Maryland estando em perfeita saúde e memória __? __ e louvado seja o Senhor, faça desta minha última vontade e testamento na forma e na forma seguinte

Imprimis Eu dou e lego minha alma ao Deus todo-poderoso, meu Criador, esperando que ele me dê perdão total e remissão total de todos os meus pecados e meu corpo para a terra de onde veio para ser enterrado de uma forma cristã e decente

2ly eu dou e deixo para minha irmã mais velha? quinze libras
libras esterlinas a serem pagas com o dinheiro que me foi dado no testamento de meu avô

Em terceiro lugar, eu dou e deixo para minha irmã, Thomazin Everett, vinte e uma libras esterlinas para serem pagas também com o dinheiro mencionado, dado por meu avô

Em quarto lugar, eu deixo e deixo para minha parente Thomazin Dunn quinze libras esterlinas para serem pagas com o previsto. dinheiro dado por meu avô, que havia dito dinheiro, está agora nas mãos de meu tio Peter Everett, que mora em St. Edmonds Bovey [paróquia de Bury St. Edmunds em Suffolk, Inglaterra]. e se este dinheiro não for pago de acordo com a minha vontade, então a minha vontade e desejo é e também darei todo o poder a? Ensor upon? uma pousada: Chamado pelo nome do cervo branco em Bilston [Bildeston] em Suffolk para o pagamento do dinheiro mencionado.

5ly eu dou e deixo para Humphry Chilcott, o filho de James Chilcott, uma novilha que está prestes a ser marcada? De Edward Griffith? ? ? o dito gado Griffiths eu dou ao dito Humphry? e ampliá-la?

6ly eu dou & amp legado ao meu Lo: amigo James Chilcott cinquenta Acres of Land de um dote fora da Terra chamado pelo nome de Bell Parke deitado em Calvert County
por sua única vida, sua esposa
Vida de Ann Chilcotts
& amp seu filho (James) Chilcotts a vida para todos esses três lá vive até o fígado mais Longo deles

7ly eu dou & amp legado a John Groome, o filho de Ffrancis Groome a hei [ffer?] [Parte da página faltando]? ? e ela ? marcado do referido Ffrancis seu [parte da página faltando]

Por último, eu dou e lego à minha amada esposa Mary [parte da página faltando] resto de minha propriedade pessoal e real neste país e [parte da página faltando] ela e seus herdeiros para sempre legalmente gerados de seu corpo e [parte de página faltando]

morra sem problema, então eu dou & deixo minha propriedade mencionada [parte da página faltando] & amp? a minha irmã Thomazin Everett para ver e amparar seus herdeiros [parte da página faltando] Legalmente gerado por seu corpo

e se ela morrer sem problemas [parte da página faltando] eu dou e deixo para meu irmão em Law James Maxfeild, meu? [parte da página faltando] Estate Boath pessoal e real para ele e seus herdeiros para sempre.

e mais longe eu impower meu Lov. esposa Mary Everett para receber oitenta libras esterlinas de meu tio Peter Everett pelo pagamento do referido dinheiro ou para? Ensor no supracitado Harte Inn branco em Bilston quando ela quiser.

e mais longe eu desejo meu amor. amigos James Chilcott e James Maxfeild e meus executores em confiança para ver este meu testamento realizado este é e sendo meu último testamento e testamento como Testemunhe minha mão e amp seale neste décimo primeiro dia de fevereiro no ano de nosso Senhor 1683/84
Assinado selado & amp entregue
Nos presentes de
Ffrancis Groome
Henry Everett [selo]

Robert [sua marca RH] Hawkins
Daniell Collett

14 de agosto de 1686
Então vieram antes de mim Robert Hawkins e Daniel Collett duas de vocês testemunhas para você dentro mencionado testamento e juraram que te viram dentro chamado Henery Everett falecido Assinar o selo e entregar o testamento por escrito e ainda não dizer em testemunho do que eu subscrevo este documento.
Thomas Tench

Em 28 de abril 1686 O capitão Henry Hanslap, no tribunal em nome de Mary Everett, mostrou que John [deveria ser Henry] Everett fez sua última vontade e testamento, e nele nomeou James Chilcott e James Maxfeild executores em custódia também, que Mary Everett rezou para que sua administração a propriedade do marido seja concedida a ela (Prerrogative Court Testamentary Proceedings, Liber 13, fólio 327, Localização: 01/12/02/038, MSA No: S529-23). O tribunal concedeu seu pedido.

Em 5 de maio 1686, James Maxwell exibiu o testamento de Henry Everett, afirmando que Everett

... em sua vida fez sua última vontade e testamento por escrito e daí fez James Chilcott e James Maxfeild Executors e que o referido James Chilcott é desde dezembro., E por isso o sd. Maxfeild é o executor sobrevivente ... (ibid., Fólio 338).

Rolos de aluguel eram listas de proprietários de terras mostrando se eles haviam pago seus aluguéis anuais de renúncia à Coroa. UMA aluguel rápido era um remanescente feudal e era pago por um freeholder no lugar de serviços que, de outra forma, poderiam ser exigidos.


James Clerk Maxwell

James Clerk Maxwell apresentou sua conceituação matemática de fenômenos eletromagnéticos em um artigo para a Sociedade Filosófica de Cambridge em 1855. Este artigo, "On Faraday's Lines of Force", foi o primeiro de três sobre o assunto que Maxwell escreveria em um período de dez anos . Os outros dois foram "Uma Teoria Dinâmica do Campo Eletromagnético" (apresentado à Royal Society em dezembro de 1864) e "Tratado sobre Eletricidade e Magnetismo" (escrito em sua casa em Glenlair e publicado em 1873). Seu retrato das forças eletromagnéticas como “campos” revolucionou a física. Ao dar uma base matemática à noção qualitativa de linhas de força de Faraday, Maxwell forneceu uma base teórica para grande parte da engenharia elétrica.

"Uma Teoria Dinâmica do Campo Eletromagnético" explicava com elegância todos os fenômenos eletromagnéticos então conhecidos, bem como a propagação da luz. Continha as equações que o físico inglês Oliver Heaviside acabaria por simplificar e que se tornariam conhecidas como Equações de Maxwell. O conceito de campo eletromagnético de Maxwell não foi inicialmente aceito universalmente. Os engenheiros elétricos, "eletricistas", como eram chamados na época, não viam valor no conceito de campo para o desenvolvimento prático da tecnologia elétrica. Levaria os esforços dos "Maxwellianos", a maioria dos quais eram professores de física, os experimentos de Heinrich Hertz e as crescentes dificuldades técnicas decorrentes de correntes alternadas, antes que a teoria de Maxwell ganhasse aceitação universal. As equações de Maxwell foram designadas como um marco IEEE em agosto de 2009.

Maxwell foi uma das grandes mentes científicas do século XIX. Além de seu trabalho inovador em eletrodinâmica, Maxwell criou o campo da mecânica estatística e fez um trabalho pioneiro na teoria da cor e na percepção das cores. Este último interesse levou Maxwell a fazer o que muitos consideram ser a primeira fotografia colorida em 1861. Sua mente perspicaz movia-se facilmente entre a ciência e a cultura. Suas descobertas mais conhecidas dizem respeito à relação entre eletricidade e magnetismo e são resumidas no que se tornou conhecido como, que se tornou um dos principais pilares da física moderna. Além desse trabalho, Maxwell também fez contribuições significativas em outras áreas. Ele fez um extenso trabalho e pesquisa sobre a teoria cinética dos gases e a natureza dos anéis de Saturno.

Vida e carreira

Maxwell nasceu em 1831 e foi criado como filho único depois que uma irmã morreu na infância. A mãe de Maxwell morreu quando ele tinha apenas oito anos, deixando seu pai para criá-lo na propriedade da família de Glenlair, na zona rural da Escócia. O pai de Maxwell contratou um tutor para educar o menino, mas a relação entre professor e aluno era tensa e difícil e marcada por um tratamento duro. Quando o pai de Maxwell descobriu os maus-tratos, Maxwell foi enviado para morar com uma tia e começou a frequentar a Academia de Edimburgo.

Embora o tutor de Maxwell uma vez tenha descrito seu jovem pupilo como "lento", os fatos sugerem que o lento na dupla pode, na verdade, ter sido o tutor que falhou em reconhecer o brilhantismo de Maxwell. Maxwell era um aluno extremamente curioso e talentoso. Aos quatorze anos, ele deu sua primeira contribuição para a matemática no estudo das curvas ovais e, na verdade, publicou um artigo sobre o assunto. Aos quinze ou dezesseis anos, ele foi admitido na Universidade de Edimburgo. Em 1850, ele foi transferido para o Trinity College, da Universidade de Cambridge, na Inglaterra, e quatro anos depois ficou em segundo lugar no difícil exame Tripos. Ele então recebeu uma bolsa de estudos em Cambridge, tornou-se tutor durante algum tempo e, em 1856, tornou-se professor no Marischal College em Aberdeen, Escócia. Foi em Marischal que Maxwell reacendeu um interesse inicial nos anéis de Saturno. Usando matemática, não um telescópio, ele teorizou que os anéis não poderiam ser sólidos, como então se acreditava amplamente, mas feitos de muitas partículas orbitando o planeta. Seu trabalho sobre o assunto rendeu-lhe o prestigioso Prêmio de Adam.

Infelizmente, apenas quatro anos depois de ingressar no Marischal College, Maxwell perdeu seu cargo de professor devido a uma reorganização do corpo docente. Pouco tempo depois, no entanto, Maxwell tornou-se professor no King’s College, em Londres, e lá permaneceu por seis anos. Foi no King’s College que Maxwell realizou sua pesquisa mais importante. Foi lá, por exemplo, que Maxwell elaborou sua “teoria cinética dos gases”, que tem a ver com o movimento dos átomos em um gás e onde demonstrou a fotografia em cores. Mais importante, no entanto, foi durante a década de 1860 que Maxwell começou a formular as equações que são a base da teoria eletromagnética. Este trabalho é considerado por muitos como uma das maiores realizações intelectuais de todos os tempos.

As equações de Maxwell não são as quatro equações de aparência simples que usamos hoje. Inicialmente, Maxwell escreveu um conjunto de vinte equações, que eram incompreensíveis para a maioria de seus contemporâneos. Suas idéias eram tão avançadas que muito poucas pessoas compreenderam a importância do que ele havia feito. Foi só mais de uma década depois que sua importância começou a ser reconhecida.

Maxwell aposentou-se em Glenlair em meados de 1860 e começou a escrever o que se tornou o livro Eletricidade e magnetismo (publicado em 1873). Em 1871, com certa relutância, ele aceitou uma oferta para retornar a Cambridge como seu primeiro Cavendish Professor of Physics. Nessa posição, ele editou os artigos de Henry Cavendish e projetou o mundialmente famoso Cavendish Laboratory. Na primavera de 1879, a saúde de Maxwell começou a se deteriorar. Ele e sua esposa, Katherine, voltaram para Glenlair. Embora sofrendo de um câncer doloroso, Maxwell supostamente permaneceu alegre e calmo até sua morte em novembro, aos 48 anos.

Em seus últimos dias, Maxwell confidenciou a um amigo e colega de Cambridge:

O que é feito pelo que eu me chamo é, sinto, feito por algo maior do que eu ... Tenho pensado como sempre fui tratado com muita delicadeza. Nunca tive um empurrão violento em toda a minha vida. O único desejo que posso ter é como Davi, servir minha própria geração pela vontade de Deus e depois adormecer.

Imagens

Tartan Uma reprodução de uma fotografia de uma fita tartan feita a partir das impressões originais de 3 cores separadas de Maxwell. Feita em 1861, é amplamente considerada a primeira fotografia colorida.


James Maxwell - História

Um prefeito de Tulsa com quatro mandatos e um líder cívico, James Maxwell nasceu em 12 de maio de 1926, em Tulsa, filho de William e Mary O'Donnell Maxwell. A família era dona de uma floricultura no centro. Durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, James Maxwell foi voluntário para o Exército dos EUA e serviu na Birmânia, Índia e China. Em 1950, ele se formou na Oklahoma State University e juntou-se ao pai nos negócios. Em 1958, como um democrata, Maxwell ganhou sua primeira eleição para prefeito de Tulsa, tornando-se o mais jovem a servir a cidade. Durante seu reinado de quatro mandatos, igualado em duração apenas pelos de Herman Newblock e Robert LaFortune, Maxwell desenvolveu o primeiro plano mestre de Tulsa. Conhecido por trabalhar dezesseis horas por dia, ele liderou os esforços para construir um novo centro cívico (que em 1985 se tornou o James L. Maxwell Convention Center), um novo complexo de governo cívico no centro, a biblioteca central do centro e o Inner Dispersal Loop. Ele expandiu o sistema de parques da cidade e supervisionou a realocação do Aeroporto Internacional de Tulsa. Durante sua gestão, a cidade adquiriu o Instituto Thomas Gilcrease de História e Arte Americana. Enquanto o governo federal contemplava uma legislação anti-segregação, Maxwell pressionou pela integração das instalações públicas de Tulsa, aprovando decretos municipais que proibiam a discriminação racial, à frente de grande parte da legislação de Direitos Civis do país.

Em 1966, James Hewgley Jr., um republicano, derrotou Maxwell em sua candidatura ao quinto mandato. Em 1968, na última oferta de Maxwell para o cargo de prefeito, Hewgley triunfou novamente. Após deixar o cargo, Maxwell trabalhou como consultor para o Departamento de Comércio dos EUA e posteriormente para o Terminal TransPort, um projeto adjacente ao Porto de Catoosa. Ele também voltou ao negócio da família, trabalhou como lobista em Washington, D.C., tornou-se o chefe da Divisão de Transporte da Comissão da Oklahoma Corporation e, em seguida, atuou como diretor dos Serviços de Conservação de Energia do estado. Maxwell nunca se casou, e quando ele morreu em 18 de outubro de 1984, em Oklahoma City, seus dois irmãos, William e George, e uma irmã, Maria Felicitas, sobreviveram a ele. James L. Maxwell foi enterrado no cemitério Rose Hill de Tulsa.

Bibliografia

Danney Goble, Tulsa! Biografia da cidade americana (Tulsa, Okla .: Council Oak Books, 1997).

Tulsa (Oklahoma) Tribune, 18 de outubro de 1984.

Mundo de Tulsa (Oklahoma), 19 de outubro de 1984 e 12 de janeiro de 1998.

Quem é quem na América, 1976-1977, Vol. 2 (Chicago: Marquis Who's Who, Inc., 1977).

Nenhuma parte deste site pode ser interpretada como de domínio público.

Direitos autorais de todos os artigos e outros conteúdos nas versões online e impressa do The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History é realizada pela Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). Isso inclui artigos individuais (direitos autorais para OHS por atribuição do autor) e corporativamente (como um corpo completo do trabalho), incluindo web design, gráficos, funções de pesquisa e métodos de listagem / navegação. Os direitos autorais de todos esses materiais são protegidos pelas leis dos Estados Unidos e internacionais.

Os usuários concordam em não baixar, copiar, modificar, vender, arrendar, alugar, reimprimir ou de outra forma distribuir esses materiais, ou conectar-se a esses materiais em outro site, sem autorização da Oklahoma Historical Society. Os usuários individuais devem determinar se o uso dos Materiais se enquadra nas diretrizes de & quotFair Use & quot da lei de direitos autorais dos Estados Unidos e não infringe os direitos de propriedade da Oklahoma Historical Society como o detentor legal dos direitos autorais de The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History e parte ou no todo.

Créditos das fotos: todas as fotografias apresentadas nas versões publicadas e online de The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture são propriedade da Oklahoma Historical Society (salvo indicação em contrário).

Citação

O seguinte (de acordo com The Chicago Manual of Style, 17ª edição) é a citação preferida para artigos:
Larry O'Dell, & ldquoMaxwell, James Livingston & rdquo The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=MA040.

& # 169 Oklahoma Historical Society.

Sociedade Histórica de Oklahoma | 800 Nazih Zuhdi Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73105 | 405-521-2491
Índice do site | Contate-nos | Privacidade | Sala de Imprensa | Consultas do site


Biografia de James Clerk Maxwell

James Maxwell foi um dos físicos mais influentes do mundo. Em particular, ele fez grandes avanços para ajudar a entender o eletromagnetismo e produziu um modelo unificado de eletromagnetismo. Sua pesquisa em cinética e eletricidade lançou as bases para a mecânica quântica moderna e a relatividade especial.

& # 8220O trabalho de James Clerk Maxwell mudou o mundo para sempre. & # 8221

Biografia curta James Maxwell

James Clerk Maxwell (13 de junho de 1831 - 5 de novembro de 1879)

James nasceu em Edimburgo, Escócia, em 1831. Desde a infância, ele demonstrou uma curiosidade natural, sempre perguntando como as coisas funcionavam e se moviam da forma como o faziam.

Quando ele tinha oito anos, sua mãe morreu e seu pai John assumiu a responsabilidade por sua educação junto com sua cunhada Jane. Em 1841, ele foi para a Academia de Edimburgo. Ele era um aluno satisfatório, mas tinha grande interesse por matérias fora do programa da escola, especialmente geometria, desenho e matemática. Aos 14 anos, ele escreveu seu primeiro artigo científico (Curvas Ovais)

Em 1847, mudou-se para a Universidade de Edimburgo, onde estudou aulas de lógica, matemática e filosofia natural. No entanto, como na escola, ele estava mais interessado em fazer seus próprios estudos fora do currículo. Ele investigou as propriedades da luz polarizada e dos prismas e também começou suas primeiras investigações em equipamentos elétricos e magnéticos. Aos 18 anos, ele apresentou outros dois artigos científicos & # 8211 embora, como era considerado muito jovem, foi entregue à Royal Society por seu tutor Kelland.

Em 1850, mudou-se para o Trinity College, em Cambridge, e estudou matemática com o grande tutor - William Hopkins. Maxwell se formou com um diploma superior em matemática e foi capaz de seguir seus próprios interesses de pesquisa. Na época, isso incluía investigar as propriedades da cor. Ele proferiu sua primeira palestra para a Royal Society Of Edinburgh em março de 1855 em seu Experimentos em cores. No mesmo ano, ele foi feito companheiro da Trindade. Mas, logo depois, em 1856, surgiu a oportunidade de assumir a cadeira de Filosofia Natural no Marischal College, Aberdeen & # 8211, ele se inscreveu e aceitou. Ele se casou com Katherine Mary Dewar em 1857.

Na Aberdeen h, passou parte de seu tempo dando palestras e corrigindo provas, mas ainda teve a oportunidade de se dedicar a outras áreas de pesquisa. Ele foi capaz de exibir seu talento considerável, fornecendo uma explicação teórica para os anéis de Saturno, que também lhe rendeu £ 130 e o Prêmio Adams do St John’s College, Cambridge.

Em 1860, ele sofreu um sério ataque de varíola, mas sobreviveu e se mudou para o Kings College, em Londres. Em seu tempo em Londres, ele conheceu Michael Faraday no Royal Institute e fez grandes progressos em seu trabalho em eletromagnetismo, incluindo um modelo para indução eletromagnética. Em uma de suas obras mais importantes, ele escreveu:

& # 8220Esta velocidade é tão próxima à da luz, que parece que temos fortes razões para concluir que a própria luz (incluindo calor radiante e outras radiações, se houver) é uma perturbação eletromagnética na forma de ondas propagadas através do campo eletromagnético de acordo com leis eletromagnéticas. & # 8221 Uma Teoria Dinâmica do Campo Eletromagnético (1864), §20.

Em 1865, ele retornou a Glenair na Escócia e escreveu um livro & # 8220Theory of Heat & # 8221 (1871)

Em 1871, ele voltou para Cambridge, trabalhando no desenvolvimento do laboratório Cavendish.

Ele morreu de câncer abdominal em 5 de novembro de 1879, com apenas 48 anos.

James Maxwell era um verdadeiro polímata. Além de suas descobertas científicas, ele amava poesia e gostava de desenhar. Embora condizente com sua imagem de excêntrico, muitos contemporâneos mencionaram que ele carecia de graça e confiança nas situações sociais. Ele também era um cristão evangélico. Ele escreveu sobre a ligação entre a ciência e o Cristianismo

& # 8220Acho que os homens da ciência, assim como outros homens, precisam aprender de Cristo, e acho que os cristãos cujas mentes são científicas são obrigados a estudar a ciência para que sua visão da glória de Deus seja tão ampla quanto seu ser é capaz. Mas eu acho que os resultados a que cada homem chega em suas tentativas de harmonizar sua ciência com seu Cristianismo não devem ser considerados como tendo qualquer significado, exceto para o próprio homem, e para ele apenas por um tempo, e não devem receber o selo de uma sociedade. & # 8221 (Rascunho de uma resposta a um convite para ingressar no Victoria Institute (1875), no Capítulo 12: Cambridge 1871 a 1879, p. 404)

Conquistas científicas de James Maxwell

As equações & # 8220Maxwell & # 8217s tiveram um impacto maior na história humana do que quaisquer dez presidentes. & # 8221

A maior contribuição de Maxwell para a ciência incluiu:

  • Os campos eletromagnéticos de observação viajam à velocidade da luz, mostrando a conexão entre a luz e o eletromagnetismo.
  • Previsão de ondas e campos elétricos e magnéticos oscilantes
  • Escrevendo equações para eletromagnetismo. Mais tarde conhecido como equações de Maxwell.
  • O conceito de campo eletromagnético, mais tarde trabalhado por Albert Einstein, deu origem à sua teoria da relatividade especial.
  • Seu trabalho em ótica e cor, que lançou as bases para a fotografia colorida prática.
  • Ele também ajudou a explicar o fenômeno do daltonismo
  • Ele desenvolveu a teoria cinética para gases - chamada de & # 8216 distribuição Maxwell. & # 8217
  • Trabalho em termodinâmica
  • Teoria de controle relacionada ao regulador centrífugo usado em motores a vapor.

James Maxwell é considerado por muitos um dos três maiores cientistas de todos os tempos. No mesmo nível de Isaac Newton e Albert Einstein.

O próprio Einstein certa vez descreveu o trabalho de Maxwell & # 8217s como:

& # 8220mais profundo e frutífero que a física já experimentou desde a época de Newton. & # 8221

Einstein disse que tinha uma fotografia de Maxwell, Michael Faraday e Newton em seu escritório.

Citação: Pettinger, Tejvan. & # 8220 Biografia de James Clerk Maxwell ”Oxford, Reino Unido www.biographyonline.net 23 de novembro de 2013. Atualizado em 25 de janeiro de 2018.

O homem que mudou tudo: a vida de James Clerk Maxwell

Páginas relacionadas

Cientistas - Cientistas famosos de Aristóteles e Arquimedes a Albert Einstein e Charles Darwin. Incluindo matemáticos, biólogos, físicos e químicos.

Povo escocês famoso - homens e mulheres influentes, incluindo Robert the Bruce, Alexander Fleming, John Logie Baird e William Wallace.


O progenitor dos Maxwells, Herbert de Maccusweil, floresceu sob os reis Malcolm IV e Guilherme I na segunda metade do século XII. Ele parece ter sido chanceler da abadia de Kelso ou do próprio rei no castelo próximo de Roxburgh. O nome Maccusweil é derivado de Weil, uma piscina de pesca, e de Maccus, um ex-proprietário de terras ao sul do rio Tweed. É verdade que os filhos de Maccus eram contemporâneos vivos de Herbert, entretanto, não há nenhuma evidência formal para ligá-los como aparentados. A família de Maccus parece ter nomes de origem nórdica ou anglo-escocesa, enquanto a evidência etimológica parece apontar para os antepassados ​​de Herbert serem normandos ou pelo menos anglo-normandos.

Ruínas do Castelo de Caerlaverock, Dumfriesshire, a sede do poder de Maxwell na Marcha Ocidental.

Os filhos de Herbert ocuparam cargos importantes nos tribunais de Guilherme e Alexandre II, incluindo o do Grande Chamberlain da Escócia, os Sheriffdoms de Roxburgh, Teviotdale e Dumfriesshire e o Justiciário de Galloway. Suas recompensas pelo serviço eram igualmente ricas: o grande baronato de Caerlaverock na costa de Solway e as terras de Mearns e Nether Pollok em Renfrew e Dryps e Calderwood em Lanark por meio do casamento judicioso com a filha e herdeira do altamente favorecido Roland de Mearns.

Destas propriedades surgiram os dois grandes ramos da família Maxwell. O ramo norte era liderado pelos Maxwell de Pollok com seus cadetes de Calderwood, Newark, Stainley e Auldhouse e, mais recentemente, Farnham e Springkell. No sul, na costa beijada do riacho do golfo do estuário de Solway, ficava o poderoso Castelo de Caerlaverock, a grande usina de força do Senhor Maxwell, de quem todos os outros ramos do nome nobre descendem.

Ao longo dos tempos perigosos e difíceis das Guerras da Independência, os Maxwells, como muitos outros nobres escoceses, mudaram de lado repetidamente. Em 1300, seu grande castelo de Caerlaverock foi sitiado por um poderoso exército inglês sob o comando de Eduardo I, o evento sendo registrado em grande detalhe por um cronista contemporâneo sob o título de Roll of Caerlaverock. Sir Eustace Maxwell abraçou a causa de John Balliol e recebeu uma mesada de Eduardo II para & quotthe a manutenção mais segura da Fortaleza. & # 148 Mais tarde ele jogou sua mão com o Bruce e desmantelou sua fortaleza para a defesa escocesa, para a qual ele era generosamente recompensado por Robert the Bruce. Esse cavaleiro também assinou a Declaração de Arbroath em 1320 e fez uma cruzada sob o comando do bom Sir James Douglas com o coração de Bruce após sua morte em 1329.

Como era de costume com as famílias fronteiriças, os chefes dos Maxwells não eram de forma alguma consistentes em seu curso ou firmes na lealdade à coroa escocesa, no entanto, eles conseguiram no final estar do lado vencedor, e honras, cargos e propriedades continuaram para acumular na família. Eles se tornaram guardiões hereditários das fronteiras ocidentais, administradores de Kirkcudbright e Annandale, embaixadores na Inglaterra e provosts de Edimburgo. Por volta de 1445, Sir Herbert Maxwell de Caerlaverock foi criado como Senhor do Parlamento e, em 1455, com a perda dos Douglases, foi-lhe concedido Eskdale e Carlisle, sendo o segundo título um tanto duvidoso, pois Carlisle permaneceu firmemente nas mãos dos ingleses.

Batalha de Flodden, de Angus McBride

Em 1513, John o quarto Lord Maxwell e três de seus irmãos caíram em Floddon, e ele foi sucedido por seu filho mais velho, Robert, que se tornou um dos homens mais proeminentes e capazes de sua época. Ele certamente gozava da estima do Rei Jaime V, pois foi criado um Senhor Extraordinário da Sessão em 1532. Em 1536, foi nomeado membro do Conselho de Regência e no ano seguinte foi um dos Embaixadores à corte francesa que negociou o casamento de Tiago com Maria de Guise e por quem ele se casou como procurador. Foi esse Lorde Maxwell quem apresentou e garantiu o projeto de lei no parlamento de 1542 que dava ao povo escocês o direito de possuir e ler a Bíblia na língua comum.

Seu filho mais velho era Robert, o sexto Lorde Maxwell, e foi durante sua época que a rixa ruinosa entre os Maxwells e seus vizinhos, os Johnstones, aumentou. Johnstone foi cortejado por todos os lados: pelos ingleses, temerosos do poder de Maxwell na fronteira pelo regente, que reivindicou as terras de Morton e pelos ladrões e salteadores de Middle Marches, cujas atividades foram restringidas por Maxwell em seu Warden Função. Sob tal pressão, Johnstone foi finalmente induzido a romper seus laços de manrent com Lorde Maxwell e a rivalidade se intensificou.

O irmão mais novo de Lord Maxwell era Sir John Maxwell de Terregles, que, como seu pai, era um homem muito capaz e um dos maiores nacionalistas da Escócia. Quando jovem, ele defendeu o castelo de Lochmaben contra os ingleses durante o cortejo violento de Henrique VIII. Mais tarde, enquanto se mantinha fiel à igreja reformada, ele se tornou um dos partidários mais ferrenhos da Rainha Maria dos Escoceses, o que posteriormente lhe custou muito. Following his brother's early death, he became tutor to his nephews, the infant sons of Lord Maxwell, and was then known by the title “Master of Maxwell,” wielding the mighty forces of the family. During the reign of the Queen and the regency that followed, Sir John called them to arms many times. He married Agnes Herries, eldest daughter and heiress to Lord Herries, and through her came the vast estates of that family to the Maxwells. In 1566, Sir John became Lord Herries, and two years later Queen Mary spent her last days on Scottish soil under his protection.

The Johnstone - Maxwell feud

Probably the bitterest and bloodiest family quarrel in English and Scottish history — including even those in the Highlands — was that of the Johnstones (Johnsons — Johnstons) versus the Maxwells. The feud continued throughout most of the 1500s, and was often fueled by local political interests, finally ended in 1623.

Lord Maxwell, Sir John's brother, had been married to Beatrice Douglas, granddaughter of James III, daughter and co-heiress to the fourth Earl of Morton. From this alliance, the second and posthumous son, John, eighth Lord Maxwell, was able to push home his legitimate claim to the Earldom, which he secured in 1581. John Maxwell, Earl of Morton, was a less judicial man than his uncle and was often in trouble for his open defiance of the Regent and later King James VI. He was a devout catholic at a time when most of his church were very discreet in their devotions. His untimely adherence to the popish cause lead him to travel to the Low Countries and thence on to Spain where great preparations were being made for the Armada. On his return to Scotland, he roused his loyal followers around his new banner which now incorporated the double headed imperial eagle of the Holy Roman Empire, it being his belief that Spain would attack England through Scotland and so re-establish the old faith in both the kingdoms. Alas for Morton, King James did not share his views and summoned him to Edinburgh where he was imprisoned in Blackness Castle. After the fiasco of the Armada, Morton was released to return home to the feud with the Johnstones which cost him his life at the battle of Dryfe Sands.

His son, also John, was even less disposed to leading a quiet life than his father and greatly endangered the family's estates by his relentless pursuit of revenge for his fathers death. This eventually led him to murder the Johnstone chief, an act for which he was eventually executed. His younger brother Robert was restored in 1620 to the "lands, rents living, teinds, offices and dignities" that belonged to his predecessors. This last patent set forth that Maxwell should go by the title of Earl of Nithsdale. Unlike his brother, Nithsdale was a man of peace. He ended the feud between the Maxwells and Johnstones when he "choppit hands" with Johnstone on 17th of June 1623 before the Privy Council.

Coat of arms of the last
chief of the Clan Maxwell
— William Maxwell —
who died in 1863.

The Earl of Nithsdale zealously supported the Royalist cause during the Civil War, and he garrisoned his castles of Caerlaverock and Thrieve in the Kings name, holding out to besieging forces for thirteen weeks. When no relief could be sent, the Earl, with King Charles' approval, surrendered on very favourable terms. However, the nobleman was siezed in 1643, the following year, and he died in exile on the Isle of Man. His son Robert, second Earl of Nithsdale, was restored in 1647 by an Act of Parliament, but the estates of the family were so heavily burdened from losses sustained during the Civil War that he was forces to sell parts of the vast inheritance. The second Earl had no children, and the Earldom passed to his kinsman John Maxwell, Lord Herries, great grandson of the great John, Lord Herries.

William, Fifth and last Earl of Nithsdale was a Jacobite supporter. He "came out" in the 1715 rebellion and was taken prisoner after the capitulation at Preston. He was taken to the Tower of London and brought to trial for High Treason in the House of Lords. After pleading guilty, he was sentenced to death by the Lord Chancellor. On the night before his execution he escaped from the Tower wearing women’s clothing, in a daring plan devised and carried out by his devoted wife. He died in the exiled Jacobean court in Rome in 1744. His only son was restored to the now heavily indebted estates but not the dignities. When he died without male heirs in 1776, the chiefdom passed via the Maxwells of Breconside to a distant cousin, the George Maxwell of Carruchan, whose line died out with his grandson William in 1863. Since then the Maxwells have remained a family without a chief.

Titles and dignities bestowed on the Maxwells:

Earldoms
The Earldom of Morton
The Earldom of Nithsdale
The Earldom of Dirleton
The Earldom of Farnham.

Barons
Lord Maxwell
Lord Eskdale & Carlisle
Lord Herries of Terreagles
Lord Elbottle
Lord Farnham.

Baronets
Maxwell of Pollock
Maxwell of Monreith
Maxwell of Orchardton
Maxwell of Calderwood
Maxwell of Cardoness
Maxwell of Springkell

Castles & Tower Houses owned and warded by Maxwells (some no longer standing)

In Dumfries and Galloway
Annan Tower
Barend Tower
Castlemilk Castle
Cardoness Castle
Caerlaverock Castle
Corra Castle
Cowhill Tower
Four-merk-land Tower
Friars Carse
Hills Tower
Hoddom Castle
Kirkconnell
Langholm Tower
Lochmaben Castle
Maxwells Castle (Dumfries)
Myreton Tower (Monreith).
Orchardton Tower
Preston (Wrieths Tower)
Terregles
The Isle
Thrieve Castle

In Strathclyde
Nether Pollok now Pollock House
Mearns Castle
Haggs Castle
Calderwood Castle
Newark Castle
Stainley Castle
Dargavel House

Website designed and maintained by the Maxwell Writers Group Copyright © 2001-2021 Maxwell Writers Group, All Rights Reserved.
Log - Site is best viewed at resolutions of 1280 pixels and above


Saturn&aposs Rings

While at Marischal, Maxwell pondered a major astronomical question, looking at the case of Saturn and coming up with the idea that the planet&aposs rings are comprised of particles, a theory later confirmed via 20th-century space probes. For this, Maxwell received the Adam Prize.

Upon Marischal becoming part of the University of Aberdeen, Maxwell took on a professor position at King&aposs College in London. He taught there until 1865 when he resigned from his post to do research from his home in Glenlair. Having continued to do work with Cambridge University as well, Maxwell was instrumental in helping to establish the institution&aposs Cavendish Laboratory, and he took on roles there as lab director and professor of experimental physics at the start of the 1870s.


James Maxwell

Youth may have been one reason for his tremendous energy. James Maxwell was the youngest person ever to have been elected Mayor of the City of Tulsa. More likely, it was his passionate feelings for his hometown that gave him the stamina to repeatedly work sixteen hour days in the service of Tulsa.

Following his graduation from Tulsa Central High School in 1944, Maxwell enlisted in the Army and served in combat duty in Burma and China. He returned to Oklahoma following the war and attended OSU, where he demonstrated an early talent for government as President of the Student Senate. Subsequently, Maxwell also earned degrees from OU.

It was during his four consecutive terms as Mayor (1958-66), that Maxwell made an indelible mark on Tulsa. The city, like all of the US, was experiencing dramatic economic and social changes during the period of his administration. Maxwell’s initiatives were among the most progressive in the country and, as a result, he laid the groundwork for three decades of successful development. Among these actions were: the establishment of Civil Service for city employees master plans for the development of the Civic Center, expressways and the Tulsa International Airport acquisition of the Thomas Gilcrease Collection by the city and the creation of the Tulsa City-County Library System. Maxwell’s policies for the integration of public accommodations, policies well ahead of national trends, helped to defuse a potentially tense racial climate and were among his proudest achievements. No simple “policy wonk,” Maxwell had an innate talent for inspiring others to work equally hard. His abilities to match the right person with the right task got things done. And, his seemingly effortless social grace made him welcomed in all social arenas.

Maxwell’s career following his service as Mayor included a brief stint as a political consultant in Washington, DC, and a longer period managing the family’s downtown Tulsa florist shop. At the time of his death in 1984, he was once again active in government as program director for the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. This was a natural position for Maxwell, who thrived on service to the citizens of Tulsa and Oklahoma. More than once, this effective public servant said of himself, “I love government, but I don’t care for politics.”

10am – 4pm, Tuesday – Saturday
2445 South Peoria, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74114


História

A Personal Retrospective by Richard Hills, Cambridge, as it appeared in JCMT Newsletter #36.

After a number of false starts, work on what was then called the UK Millimetre-wave Telescope got underway in 1975. Tom Phillips (then at Queen Mary College) and I (a new post-doc at MRAO) wrote a proposal for a 15m dish with a surface accuracy of < 50μm rms (good enough for operations down to

800μm wavelength). Items 1 and 2 in the science case were observations of molecular lines and of emission from dust. The focus was on galactic clouds but the prospect of extragalactic research did get a mention. Our first estimate of the cost was £700k, but we thought that we should allow ample margin and so asked for £1.5M. Wise people at the research council “pencilled-in” £2.8M(!), which is roughly £30M at today’s prices. This proved to be (just) sufficient for the telescope and its enclosure, although in those days budgets were adjusted for inflation and exchange rate, and manpower in the Establishments and Universities was not counted.

The management of the project was given to the Appleton Laboratory (AL), which was then at Slough, and they had feasibility studies carried out by Hawker Siddeley and Marconi. The technical results were promising, but it was clear that having a commercial prime contractor was going to be too expensive. The then Project Manager, Barry Shenton, realised that we had to move the design responsibility and risk in-house and proposed that Rutherford Lab (RL) should do it. This was tricky to arrange because AL was fighting a rear-guard action to avoid being merged with RL. The merger was however pushed through and Ron Newport took over the management of the project within the new RAL.

Detailed design work proceeded quite rapidly, but the issue of the site proved more difficult. Although Hawaii was the obvious choice and the “IR Flux Collector” (soon to become UKIRT) was going ahead there, building telescopes on Mauna Kea had already become controversial and we were advised that there was no prospect of getting permission for a second UK telescope. It was therefore decided to site it at what was to be the new UK Northern Hemisphere Observatory on La Palma. Negotiations for the use of that site dragged on, however, and it was not until the end of 1979 that these came to a conclusion. By that time the money that had been in the budget for the UKMT had gone elsewhere and SRC’s budget was being cut, so much of 1980 was spent finding ways to save money. It was the Dutch who came to the rescue by taking a share in the NHO and proposing to join the millimetre-wave project as well.

It was agreed that we should make it a joint project and the name James Clerk Maxwell Telescope was chosen. It was however pointed out by Thijs de Graauw that, if we were serious about the short wavelengths, then La Palma was not really high enough – we should be building it on Mauna Kea. The circumstances in Hawaii had changed by this time and it was thought that approval could be obtained so long as thorough environmental studies were done. The costs on Hawaii were higher and we also needed a better surface accuracy so we could reach the 450μm window, so we proposed to the SRC that the site should be changed and the budget increased. The answer was the inevitable one – we should indeed change the site but there was no extra money. A further round of cost savings ensued in which we reduced the size of the enclosure (but not the dish!) and removed things like a proper control room and an elevator. Gaining the necessary permits in Hawaii took a good deal of time and effort but by spring 1983 we were ready to start work on the foundations. Fortunately we were able to get 1600 tons of concrete in the ground before the next funding crisis hit and less secure projects were axed.

JCMT foundations as viewed from Poliahu.

The next item was the steel-work for the enclosure. The fabrication at a works near Bolton only took a few weeks (which surprised me) and they did a trial erection to make sure all the bits fitted and that the rotation and door mechanisms worked. (We did not know then that they had used cheap Russian-made bearings to save money.) Shipping it to Hawaii was more problematic: the large boat that it was scheduled to go on broke down, so the shipping company subcontracted it to a small freighter which was supposed to take it direct to Hilo. We were already somewhat alarmed when the pictures of it setting off showed that the boat was barely visible under the large pile of steel lashed to its deck. After several weeks had passed with no word, investigations revealed that the boat had actually gone to Holland and loaded up with an additional cargo of high explosives. This meant that there was a delay before it could get through the Panama Canal – presumably they have special days for dangerous cargos. It then disappeared again – no doubt to off-load the explosives somewhere on the Pacific coast. By the time it reached Hawaii the penalty clauses for late delivery were nearly equal to the total fee for the charter, and the captain stopped outside the territorial waters and demanded full payment of the original price or he would off-load the steel into the sea! It seems that he did not understand the law of the sea because we were able to obtain a writ for “piracy on the high seas” and the US Coastguard went out and nailed it to the mast. They took possession of the boat and towed it into Hilo.

The steel structure of JCMT is erected.

The fabrication of the steel for the telescope took place in Ijmuiden, near Amsterdam. It again went well and we were able to do a test assembly and first trials of the drives in the factory. This time the shipping went smoothly and by late 1985 the main parts were on the mountain with an enthusiastic team to do the assembly. There were many more exciting moments, such as lifting in the reflector structure: the crane was not large enough to lower it in from the top, so it had to come in through the front, with the building and the crane turning at the same time. There was also a fright when the purpose-built measuring machine proved unable to cope with the amount of vibration on the structure and we had to improvise a holography measurement scheme. Receivers, back-ends, a chopping secondary mirror, a control system and a whole lot of software and other components all arrived from the many collaborating groups in the UK and Holland, and by the end of 1986 we had a just-about-working telescope.

Arrangements for the Canadians to join the project, bringing additional strength to the partnership and saving the SERC from yet another financial crisis, were concluded just in time for the opening ceremony. The opening was mostly memorable for the fact that when the traditional “lever to start the first observation” was pressed, nothing happened: one of the VIP guests was leaning on an emergency stop button! Fortunately this inauspicious start does not seem to have damaged the productivity of the telescope too much.

Overall it was a wonderful project to work on. We had a tremendous amount of fun despite the various delays and setbacks. It is a shame that space does not allow me to name the very many people who worked so hard and unselfishly to make it a success, but I would like to send them all my best wishes and thank them for their contributions.

Dignitaries at the dedication of the JCMT, 27th April 1987. Left to right: Roy Tolcher (Head of Council Works Unit,SERC) Dr Don Hall (University of Hawaii) Sir John Clerk (direct descendant of James Clerk Maxwell) HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh Mrs Lynne Waihee (deputising for her husband, the Governor of Hawaii) Dante Carpenter (Mayor of Hawaii County) Professor Bill Mitchell (Chairman, SERC) Dr Bernard Gingras (NRC, Canada) Dr Paul Williams (Director of the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, SERC) Dr Albert Mulder (ZWO, Netherlands) Professor Richard Hills (Project Scientist) Brian Edwards (Project Engineer).


An American Family History

Baltimore County, Maryland was founded in 1659 and included most of northeastern Maryland. The original county included parts of Cecil, Frederick, Harford, Carroll, and Baltimore Counties.

Planter and Merchant, Colonel James Maxwell, was born about 1661 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. He was the only child of James and Mary Maxwell of Herring Creek Hundred, Anne Arundel County. Patrick Hall was his stepfather. He was a gentleman.

The Maxwells were Protestant, although James apparently did not sign the Protestant petition to William and Mary in 1689.

In 1683, was appointed as an executor of the will of his brother-in-law, Henry Everett.

James, Jr. was living in Baltimore County by May, 1689, when he was proposed as one of the appraisers of John Taylor's estate.

On May 19, 1691, James sold Lucy Evans (executrix of Lewis Evans, of Anne Arundel County), 200 acres on the West Side of Chesapeake Bay, and on the South Side of Herring Creek that he inherited from his father.

He was taxed as a resident of the North Side of Gunpowder River Hundred in June, 1692.

James was appointed as a captain in the rangers in 1691/92 by the Council of Maryland. His district was from the Falls of the Patapsco to the Susquehanna. In colonial Maryland, rangers patrolled the frontier and warned of Native American war parties. James was made major, by 1694 and colonel, by 1706/7.

On September 21, 1694, James Maxwell of Baltimore County signed the following

Wee the Subscribers doe declare that wee doe believe that there is not any transubstantiation in the Sacrament of the Lords Supper or in the Elements of bread & Wine at or after the Consecration thereof by any person whatsoever.

On November 10, 1695, a grant of 553 acres called Major's Choice was made to Major James Maxwell.

He was sheriff of Baltimore County from 1696 to 1699 and again from 1701 to 1703.

He was a justice in Baltimore County in 1690/91, 1696, and from 1706 to 1727/28. He was a Justice of the Quorum from 1694 to 1696 and from 1706 to 1727/28. He was chief justice from 1715 to 1727/28.

He was a member of the Lower House, Baltimore County from 1694 to 1696, from 1704 to 1727. His nine terms in the legislature were one of the longest tenures in the Assembly's first century. The Assembly Proceedings, March 10, 1697/8-April 4, 1698 read:

It being moved to the house that Major James Maxwell high Sherriffe of Baltimore County lyes dangerously sick. The sending for the said Maxwell before this house is deferred till the next sessions.

In 1696 he signed the Association Address of support for King William III after the failed Jacobite plot.

. . .Tis the Remoteness of our habitations and not the less fervency of our Affections which makes Us (perhaps) later than others in Addressing yor Ma[ges]ty and Joyning with the rest of yor Loyall Subjects in Congratulating yor deliverance from the horrid designed Assassination against yor Sacred person . . .

His first wife was Mary Harmer. She had been married before to Benjamin Gundry and already had a son, Sprye Godfrey Gundry. She received land from her family that would be called Maxwell's Conclusion.

Eliza Ann Maxwell Ricketts was born about 1706.

Mary Harmer died about 1707.

His second wife was the widow, Anne Groome Richardson.

They were married by 1709 when Anne's sister, Elizabeth's husband, John Ewings, named James and Anne's brother, Moses, as guardians of his daughter, Dorcas.

James may also have been the father of Philixanna Maxwell Smithers who died before 1718.

The March Court of 1709 awarded James a contract to build a courthouse in Joppa Town on land that was owned by his son, James. The building was controversial and James was the leader of the movement to build it. The courthouse was built without the proper legal authority,

In 1712, James outlined the area of Joppa Town, Maryland on his own land. He, at first, declined the offer of three pounds per acre for home lots, but agreed to the price of one pound, seven shillings for each half acre lot when the court condemned him.

On September 30, 1712, James conveyed 100 acres of Jullican ou Galleon Bay to his step-son, Spry Godfrey Gundry, for his natural life (Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin, Volume 30).

Their son, Robert, died and was buried January 12, 1718/19.

In August, 1719 James was reimbursed by the County Court for having cared for the child of Elizabeth Kitchin.

In 1720 Anne (Groome) Felkes (or Phelks) left Anne and James, Taylor's Choice which was 300 acres at the head of the Gunpowder River during their lives. After they died, it was go to to Anne's oldest son, Asacle. She also left personal property to Ann and her children: Asacle, Elizabeth, James, Anne and Robert Maxwell.

In 1724, James contracted with the St. John's Parish Vestry to build St. John's Church at Joppa for 24,000 pounds of tobacco. That year he also have built a brick mansion (the old Rumsey house) with bricks imported from England.

He made his will on January 4, 1727/28 and died the next day on January 5, 1727/28 when he was 67. His death was recorded in the St. John's Parish Register.

At his death he had £1,403.5.9 current money including old books. He had five servants and had enslaved 12 people.

Holland's Adventure - in part of Baltimore County, Maryland that became Harford County.
1676 - surveyed for John Holland who assigned it to Francis Watkins who sold it to
Robert Cutchin in 1705.
Robert sold 20 acres to James Maxwell.
Ashael Maxwell inherited those acres and his widow, Hannah, married John Hall who renamed it Hall's Pasture.

Planter is an archaic term for a settler. Plantation was a method of colonization where settlers were "planted" abroad. A plantation is also the kind of large farm that was the economical basis of many American Colonies and owners of these farms were also called planters.

Lush forests in Colonial America allowed settlers to build wooden homes.

f rom A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.

Maxwell James (1662-1727/28).

Born: in 1662, in Anne Arundel County only child.
Native: second generation.
Resided: in Baltimore County by 1691.

Father: James Maxwell (?-1669/70) of Herring Creek, Anne Arundel County, a planter who immigrated in 1658 and died with at least 200 acres and a personal estate of 22,087 pounds of tobacco.
Stepfather: Patrick Hall (?-by 1679).
Mother: Mary.

Casado
first, by 1691, Mary, widow of Benjamin Gundry (?-by 1687). Mary was the daughter of Godfrey Harmer (?-1674), a Swedish Indian trader and interpreter in New Sweden and Maryland who was naturalized in Maryland in 1661, and wife Mary Spry. She was the step-daughter of John Stansby (?-ca. 1682/83). Her sisters were Sarah Elizabeth.

Casado
second,by 1704, Anne, widow of (first name unknown) Richardson. She was probably the sister of Moses Groome kinswoman of Ann Felk (?-ca. 1720).

Crianças
Sons:
James, the elder (?-ca. 1732),who married Mary
Aseal (Asacle) (?-1729), who married Hannah (1711-1782), daughter of Roger Matthews (ca. 1685-1740)
James, the Younger (ca. 1711-?) and
Robert (?-1718/19).
Stepson:
Spry Godfrey Gundry.

Daughters:
Elizabeth
Anne (?-1744), who married in 1737 John Matthews (1714-1783) and
probably Philizana, who married in 1709 Richard Smithers.

Asael, Elizabeth, James, the Younger, Anne, and Robert
were the children of Anne Richardson Maxwell.

Private Career
Education: literate.
Religious Affiliation: Protestant, probably Anglican contracted with the St. John's Parish Vestry to build St. John's Church at Joppa for 24,000 pounds of tobacco, 1724.


Social Status and Activities: Esq., by 1722
sons held no known offices.
Maxwell's nine terms in the legislature constitute one of the longest tenures in the Assembly's first century.

Occupational profile: planter merchant.

Public Career.
Legislative Service: Lower House, Baltimore County,

1694-1696 (resigned before the 6th session of the 1694-1697 Assembly to become sheriff),
1704-1707 (Aggrievances 1, 2, 4, 5, chairman 5 Elections and Privileges 3),
1708A, 1708B-1711, 1714 (elected to the 4th session of the 1712-1714 Assembly),
1715, 1716-
1718, 1719-1721/22 (Aggrievances 1),
1725-1727 (Aggrievances 4).

Local Offices:
justice, Baltimore County, 1690/91-1696, 1706-1727/28 (quorum, 1694-1696, 1706-1727/28
chief justice, 1715-1727/28)
sheriff, Baltimore County, 1696-1699,
1701-1703.

Military Service:
captain, by 1691/92
major, by 1694
colonel, by 1706/7.

Stands on public and private issues:
support of the Protestant Associators' Revolution in 1689 brought
him his first appointment to public office.

Personal property: headed household of 5 taxables, 1692.

Land at first election: ca. 1,000 acres acquired through marriage to Mary Harmer Gundry.

Significant changes in land between first election and death:
acquired 677 acres by patent, ca. 1,367 acres by purchase, and 150 acres through marriage to Anne Richardson
sold at least 250 acres, plus land on which the town of Joppa, Baltimore
County, was sited.

Wealth at Death
Died: on January 5, 1727/28, in St. John's Parish, Baltimore County.

Personal Property: TEV, £1,403.5.9 current money (including 5 servants, 12 slaves, and old books)

FB,
£977.14.11 current
money.
Land: over 2,000 acres.

from the periodical Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin, February, 1973.

The following data is taken from a chart of the Maxwell family, by Christopher Johnson, on file at the Maryland Historical Society.

1. James Maxwell, of Anne Arundel County, died 1669, He married Mary ?
who married 2) Patrick Hall, of Anne Arundel County, who died 1678.
She married 3) John Spencer living in 1683.

They were the parents of.
2. Colonel James Maxwell, son of James and Mary, was born Nov. 1662, and died 1727/8.

He married 1) a daughter of Godfrey and Mary Harmer. This first wife was the widow of ---Gundry.

He married 2) Ann, sister of Moses Groom, and kinswoman of widow, Ann Johnson, who married Edward Felkes.

Capt. James Maxwell was appointed by the Council of Maryland. to be Ranger in Baltimore Co., from the Falls of Patapsco to the Susquehanna, with six men under him, (Arch. Maryland., VIII, 398).

He was named as a brother-in-law in the will of John Ewings of Balto. Co., in 1709 (Maryland Calendar of Wills, III 145).

He died without leaving a will. His estate was administered by William Savory (Baltimore County Admin. Acts, Liber C, Vol. 137).

By his first wife he had a son James, who died prior to 1733,

His children by his second wife are named in the will of widow Ann Felkes, who died 1719/20, in Balto. Co. (Maryland Calendar of Wills, V, 32).

He was the father of.
uma. James (by first wife) died by 1733,
b. Asael, died 1729,
c. Capt. James Maxwell,
d. Robert Maxwell,
e. Elizabeth Maxwell, and
f. Ann Maxwell, died 20 Oct. 1744 married Capt. John Matthews.

A partir de St. John's & St. George's Parish Registers 1696-1851 by Henry C. Peden, Jr.:

Pg 12: Robert Maxwell was buried January 12, 1718/19

Pg 64: Coll. James Maxwell died January 5, 1728

a partir de Maryland Historical Magazine, Volume 13 edited by William Hand Browne, Louis Henry Dielman

. . .All of these lands [which belonged to Godfrey Harmer], which lie adjacent to one another at the foot of Gunpowder Neck, excepting Upper Ollives, which lies in Bush River, descended to the Maxwell family through Mary Harmer, daughter of Godfrey Harmer, who married
(1st) Benjamin Gundry and
(2d) Colonel James Maxwell (Patents, Liber E. I. No. 4, folio 187).

f rom Ancestral Records and Portraits, Volume 1 by Colonial Dames of America. Chapter 1, Baltimore

Colonel James Maxwell, the only child of James Maxwell, was born 1661, and died January 5, 1728, leaving a will, dated that year.

He was a Ranger 1692, and his district was from the Falls of the Patapsco to the Susquehannah Sheriff, 1693 and Member of the General Assembly, 1694.

He married, first, Mary
second, .

William Savary of Baltimore County, married the widow of Colonel James Maxwell, and administered d.b.n. on his estate, and on that of his son James.

Issue by first marriage, several children. including a son James:

by second marriage, several children also, one being referred to as James the younger.

Álcool played a significant role in the daily lives of colonists even children. They feared polluted water and believed in alcohol's nourishing and medicinal properties.

a partir de Archives of Maryland edited by William Hand Browne, Clayton Colman Hall, Bernard Christian Steiner

On Saturday the 16th [1692] Capt Maxwell took eight men with him, and went to Thomas Thurstons where he expected to find that Party of Indians mentioned in the enclosed [letter] from him to me, which came to my hand

in their County, but when he came there, found the Indians had hired a Guide for One good Beaver Skin to convey them about sixteen Miles to One Mr Jacob Lootons a Baltimore County Justice,

Onde Captain Maxwell and his Party followed them on Sunday Morning, and there they found about seventy two Indian Men, and a hundred Women and Children, who had 8 Guns, and all the rest of their men well furnished with Bows and Arrows at the said Lootons house,

and there they found him [Jacob Looton] in his Store, and full of Indians a dealing with him for Goods, having great Store of Indian Trade therein, which is said to belong to Col Wells and Samuel Groome and that he trades under them,

but I find by Captain Maxwell and some of his Men, that Looton and his Wife gave the English a very unwelcome reception for disturbing their Trade on their Market day as Looton called it. . .

Sir, One Thomas Jones of that County was with Captain Maxwell, and speaks something of most Indian Tongues, & of some Nations as well as the Indians themselves, but could understand very little of these, nor of what Nation they are, but believes them to be a mixt villainous sort of People that rambles up and down to seek who they can devour,

and believes they was never at Lootons house before, he living not many miles from him,

Looton has bought abundance of them as reported, Jones saw him buy

One Beaver Skin for thirty green Apples,
e One for thirty Ears and Nubbins of Corn

Sir, These Jndians belong to the Frenchman, that I hope is got safe down, who is much enquired after by them, and hope he has made further known of them to your Excellency before this Time,

Capitão Maxwell tells me that he did see in One of their hands such a Stick as One of the Two was brought to your Excellency with such Marks upon it, and feathers tyed to the End,

having told him of the two by Description to him as I saw them and doubtless the Murderers is amongst this very party,

One of these Indians presented a bent Bow and Arrow at the English, at their first coming to Lootons, but was prevented by the rest of his Party as a small inclosed paper mentions by Captain Maxwell, and no doubt but the rest of their party would 'a seconded him, had they been further from the house,

Looton since has convoyed them over Susquehannah River as informed to me . . .

Captain Maxwell examind saith that he was at the said Jacob Lootons house with a Party of Men and desired to speak with him the said Looton, but coud receive no other Ansr from him but that they were his Friends and seemed very Angry with him and his Men for disturbing of him, it was his Market Day and there was an Act coming out to Prohibit any trade with the Indians, and then nothing was to be done without a License &ca

The said Maxwell further saith that the said Lootons Wife was also in great Passion and turned their Horses loose, particularly seeking after the said Maxwells Horse, and immediately went to turn him Loose but as it fell out it was another mans,

Mr Thomas Jones called in and examined saith that the said Looten alledged that Captain Browne had brought those Indians down to him, and that was warrant enough for him to walk by

James Frisell examind saith that the said Looton did declare they had three hundred Beavor Skins, and he must have one half of them

Mr Jones further saith that when the French Prisoner first came in, there was a rumor of these Indians and he himself went to see the French man, but before he came Capt' Richardson had carried him down, that coming to Mr Thurstons the woman there told him they were Delaware Indians whereupon he and the rest of his Company concluded to go to Jacob Lootons, where when they came the said Lootons Wife came out with her Arms abroad crying out hey hoe who are you coming to kill now, and such like discourse

Capt' Maxwell replied that the great Man brought a large Beavor Skin, and declared by the Interpreter they Presented him with a Beavor in expectation of having some Corn,

after twice saying so the said Looton rose up and the Indian called him Fool and gave the Skin which he offerd Looton, to Mr Jones for as much drink as he coud afford for it, which was Four Bottles and some Sugar

Jacob Looton alledges that the Indians declared they brought that as a token of Friendship to deale with the English which the said Jones and Maxwell deny and affirm he said otherwise

It was demanded of Capt' Maxwell what Indian it was that bent his Bow at them

He saith he knows not for the man that told him of it was not come down, but affirms all that he hath said or written to be true.

Ordered that Jacob Looton give Bond or enter into Recognizance with goods and sufficient security to appear at the next Provincial Court, to answer what shall be Objected against him, and in the mean time to be of the good Behaviour, that he be bound in the sum of Five hundred Pounds Sterl, and Bond also to be taken of the Evidence to prosecute against him upon the Act of Assembly of this Province against dealing with the Indians &ca and likewise that Captain Iames Maxwell search the House and Plantations of the said Looton . . .


Assista o vídeo: Great Minds: James Clerk Maxwell, Electromagnetic Hero